Saturday, July 6, 2019

El Conchristador and Leonardo Masterbeef III take to the Once Open Highway for some doomed racing action at Madeira




062919
Frantic Race Report

From the desks of Leonardo Masterbeef III and El Conchristador.

Part 1:

Setting: Interstate highway 74 somewhere between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, our destination for yesterday’s activities.  I warn you right now that this next paragraph was written in a fit of High Rage so please do excuse the profanity...  

 How do you overturn a fucking truck on I74?  The line of traffic was just so damned long and I had to pee so badly and Leo was absolutely no help at all because all he had to do was sit there in his air-conditioned passenger seat and look at stuff on his greasy phone.  Meanwhile I am about to have a bladder rupture and my teeth are almost ground down to dust.  74 is normally a nice, little pleasant drive with an almost downhill feel to it, complete with lovely trees and farm fields and plenty of hills as you get toward Cinci.  But not on this day, no sir, no fekkin way in hell with that idiot who, apparently, for no particular reason, decided to stray Right just that 1% too much and (in my imagination) probably started the terminal fishtail thing-half on / half off the shoulder with all the loose gravel and debris and tall grass and then, POOF, he rolled that sucker right the fuck over next to a wire fence and some trees and a bored bovine who continued to chew cud but was most likely udderly (get it?) disgusted in his or her own way.  And I was too.  In my own way, which was to loudly curse at the dolt when we finally, after an hour of brake-check slow-driving, wound up next to the bugger as the traffic line finally got its act together and found rhythm and I stuck TWO middle fingers as high as I could at him across Leo’s lap and through the passenger window.  Fucking wankmeister…

Anyway, we high-tailed it, inasmuch as my RAM has a tail, to Madeira with about 13 minutes to spare before the start of our masters race.  Leo leaped out of the truck, Dukes of Hazard-style and into his kit in about four minutes.  I had to fast-pedal down the sidewalk and over to the parking lot and register right-quick before my boiling rage exploded my heart and caused a huge, gross scene in the middle of this festive event.  

But I do love the Madeira crit.  It is probably my favorite overall crit course of all time.  It has all of the elements of a Conchristador day of pedaling fun.  Eight turns if you count the chicane as a turn (and I just decided to count it as a turn), a section of shitty pavement, off-camber high-speed 90s, a gorgeous hairpin turn, and one section where you actually need to veer into a parking lot and just barely avoid an 8-inch concrete curb on blacktop (which is NOT asphalt).  Anyway I love super technical courses with loads of turns and crap for pavement because it eliminates about 75% of the competition because they do not know how to expertly maneuver their bikes through garbage like that.  But Madeira is not garbage.  Most of the roads are actually very nice and the course is set up very well.  I love anything with a chicane.  And I especially love a hairpin turn at the end of a nice little false-flat riser where you can pass the entire field, if you want, because they all play follow-the-leader on the right and really all you need to do is blast up the left side and then brake-pedal that 180 on the inside line and then just drive hard for about five seconds and you are golden.  Easy.  I love this course.  After the 180, you sprint down the other side of the false-flat and into a very fast 90 degree right hander and smack into a little kicker-hill that you could almost coast up if you were going fast enough but what you REALLY need to do is sprint the fuck out of that corner as hard as you can (if it’s the last lap and there is a field sprint) because the first person out of that corner generally leads through the next two corners because the straight sections are only about 50 meters long.  And the last corner (corner 8) is the one who can cause you to die if you are not strong with the lean angle and stuff.  It is an acute angle, about 80 degrees or so, and you are coming off a downhill at high speed and probably cross-eyed from the exertion and the fact that it is almost always 95 degrees with high humidity at Madeira for some reason.  I used the word “who” back there because this course has personality.  Anyway, if you make it around corner 8 you have maybe 40 meters to sprint.  Wait…back to what I said about turn 6…that is the one where you will win or lose this thing.  Rail that bitch and go as hard as you can up that little kicker and just make it around 7 and that’s basically it.  If your tires are in decent shape and you dial the crazy back to about 9.5, you can juuuuuuuuuust about scrape around 8 and then about ten pedal strokes later, you will win.  At least that’s how I did it a few years ago.  But not last night…..  Last night sucked. 

LMB3 stayed in and tail-gunned his way around most of the night and rolled in about as casually as Sinatra at the Tropicana.  I basically did not see him the rest of the evening as I had decided to do the P/1/2 race because of my ignominious DNF in the masters race due to heat exhaustion due to absolutely no warmup and speedy initial five laps due to Matt Bole and TRH and company.  WHEW what a mess that race was.  I was very much dizzy because my heart rate was somewhere around twenty bpm above what I thought was my max but my legs were fine.  So I kept going and going and then my eyesight failed somewhere around lap 4.5 and I could no longer discern friend from foe and LMB3 was tailgunning and it was so fucking hot.  So I pulled out due to concern for the safety of my peers and I hope they all appreciated my gesture because if I had stayed in there and recovered……well…my legs were fine.  

But I sensed that I would not recover.  In fact, it took about thirty minutes for me to actually get out of that goddam black vortex. So I just sat on the side of the road and chatted with Rice Man about the art of race craft and moving out of the 5s and 4s and into the vertigo/popcorn machine which is the Cat 3 field of US crit racing.  

Big rest and ride around the block a few times and then back to the truck for some food and water and squirt out a few drops of very dark yellowish pee (and as I did, KP comes by and says “strong stream, man.”) and then on to Starbucks for an espresso and some AC and I run into Josh Richards who was just sitting there looking Dazed and Confused so I sat down at the little picnic table and we chatted for a while about who knows what.  But I was grateful for the AC and some low-key conversation.  

Part 2:

Big boy race.  Very fast from the gun with the likes of Travieso and Hogan and Drew Dillman and KP and it was just really fucking fast.  I felt much better in this race and rode just fine for about half the race but I was just too damned hot and had shit position from the start so I tail-gunned most of the way until I just really did not want to sprint out of corners any more so I admit it….I simply pulled the plug again and let them all go and rode around solo for a few more laps until the Official took pity on me and pulled me out.  I rode over to the fence and released about three quarts of sweat all over the pavement and just sort of panted and scanned the area around me while generally looking like an old jackass masters guy who had no business trying to ride around with Thoroughbreds and whatnot. 
Why had I done this to myself?  I was so dehydrated I couldn’t even move my tongue properly to speak and I think I mumbled some idiotic gibberish about my desperate need for water and the lack of shade to Jeff Beaumont, who was holding my phone.  I grabbed the thing and jammed it into my soaking-wet jersey pocket, said Thanks, and hobbled off toward my truck and LMB3, who was manning the Base.  I quickly surmised that he had been imbibing because he was over by the WRP Mobile Party Unit being silly and overly chatty with Chris Carr and his squadron of very fast women.  I collapsed on the ground, said some probably unintelligible words of congratulations to the gals, and just sat there, motionless, for the next ten minutes until my very happy companion decided it was time for us to leave.  And then we left.  And then the singing began…

YAAAAYAAAAAYAAAAYAYAAYYAAYAAYYYY!!!!!!  ….That is the best I can figure out how to spell the shit that was coming out of Leo’s mouth vis-a-vis Prince and Darling Nikki.  And if you know the song about which I write, you will know the sort of depraved individual that my driving companion actually was.  LMB3 wore his customary 2-day old, 5 o’clock shadow beard and bronze-colored, Frogskin-style sunglasses with acid-red lenses.  A hastily-thrown on, grey, threadbare t-shirt that he’d purchased at some bike race in the 80s and a way-too-loose fitting pair of red gym shorts.  A true first-class passenger if I’ve ever seen one.  And a darling conversationalist as well.  If you do not already know this man, I shall advise you as such:  Should you wish to ascertain a definitive answer about any sort of interrogatory you may have posed to Mr. Beef, be prepared to wade through no less than a minimum of three to four vague and perhaps even completely unrelated answers before you even begin to approach something in the neighborhood of a certainty.  To even attempt a serious conversation with this madman is sheer folly.  He is strictly off-limits for rookies. 
And with that last statement, and owing to the fact that LMB3 and I were truly exhausted after this doomed journey, I shall conclude this thing.  
 
So, Top o’ the Mornin’ to ye’ and please, someone, bring me some coffee.

-C

Oh and one more very important thing I would like to mention:

Many of you may know Mike Langan, aka Big Leg Mike, from back in the day.  He is my friend.  He and I raced together in the early 2000s for Heroes and he needs some help right now.  His daughter is facing a battle with cancer and the prognosis is not that great.  Mikey has not been involved much lately with the Indy cycling community, due to the circumstances in which he currently finds himself, so many of you may not know him or know much about him, but I can assure you that he has given a great deal of his time and money to our community over the years, mostly in a very quiet and unobtrusive way.  I would just ask that if you have the time and inclination, that you might say a prayer for him and his daughter, Presley, and maybe even take some time to just be quietly grateful for our sport and all of the opportunities that cycling gives us. 

Okay I am really done now.  Be cool, now…

No comments:

Post a Comment