Friday, July 8, 2011

tomatoes

The maters are getting big now. They grow and grow and suck up water like Bounty. They are about four feet tall and almost too bushy. I estimate around 50-60 total tomatoes in various stages of ripeness. The goal is to make a helluva sauce one of these days. We also have a bunch of cayennes growing like mad right next to the maters. I ate one last night but they're not yet getting any heat. My impatience is legendary in these matters...I hate waiting. But these things take time. And so it goes for my farmer imitation.

I am watching the Tour right now. Very boring stage. Very flat. Very formulaic. This is why I don't pay as much attention anymore to pro racing. It just isn't very exciting. We all know what's going to happen, to a pretty good degree of certainty. On flat stages like this, everyone will ride "tranquilo" for most of the stage while a doomed breakaway goes up the road for their sponsor's tv-time. Then around 30K out, the peloton will start to ride hard to catch them. At around 10K out, the teams will be pretty well organized and the leadout trains will start to form. 5K out is time for consolidation of the trains and the sorting out of the contenders from the pretenders. 2K out is time for a crash and maybe someone takes a flyer off the front in vain, unless it's Cancellara. 1K out is full gas and maybe another flyer. Then all hell breaks loose and someone wins. Pretty much the same thing every flat stage. So it's really silly to watch the whole thing IMO. From 20K on it is good though. Right now they are at 118K out and I wonder why it's even on...

So I'll probably finish this cup and go ride myself for a couple hours. I'm gonna go racing this weekend so I don't totally waste this form I've found. I'll catch the replay later when I get to work. Hopefully no bonehead comes in and blurts out the winner while I'm watching. But no worries. Bike riding is fun stuff and I'm fortunate to have something like this in my life. It is my true church, after all.

I just saw Jens Voigt. He is great. I don't know if he uses drugs or not...probably so. I believe most of them do. But Jens at full-gas is the most perfect display of pure effort I've ever seen. That guy would swallow a live grenade if it meant he could go a half MPH faster. He is like an ostrich with rabies hunting tigers in the desert. He is a hunter who's gun jams so he just throws bullets at an elephant until it falls. He has no knees...just double-jointed ankles and four-foot quads. He practiced holding his breath until he could do it all night to increase his O2 capacity. He eats polar bear stew and drinks his own blood in his hut on top of K2...for strength. What a dude...

I think I'll go ride now. I see the sun. What a beautiful thing to go ride in the sun. Gotta breathe these days in and say Thank You to God for making all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment